Sunday 8 June 2008

OSCEs and post-alcohol-post-OSCE syndrome

I am poorly again.

I've been ill on and off for a couple of months, mostly due to the fact that I never get enough rest. I'm on placement all week, then work ridiculously long shifts at the weekend, and when I have the opportunity to go out I make it a big one. Entirely my own fault. Doesn't stop me feeling sorry for myself.

I had my OSCE on Thursday. I worried myself sick before it, and drank myself into the floor afterwards. It went surprisingly ok. Station breakdown as follows:

Setting up an IV infusion- not done it since week 1 in September. Regret that now. My particular favourite moment was me struggling to get the damn line to run through, and the examiner saying 'perhaps you might want to take the cap off'. Joy. I'd expected this to go badly though after hearing the people the day before had had it. Picked myself up and moved on.

Examine pt for hepatosplenomegaly- went really well. Looked confident, simulated patient looked happy (they're worse than the examiners for keeping a straight face). Finished early and the examiner didn't do that really annoying 'and what else?' thing that makes you know you've forgotten something really obvious.

Hx no 1- Heart failure- barn door diagnosis. Was polite and confident. Only error I can pick out is that I was too quick to decide that's what it was. Otherwise, happy.

Cannulation- was ok. Got the plaster stuck to my gloves and a bit tangled. Think it was alright.

Examine pt for thyrotoxicosis- have practised this examination loads so was quite confident. Examiner suggested one or two little extras afterwards, and pointed out I should use the equipment available (water for swallowing, instead of just asking to swallow). Happy.

Hx no 2- Bladder cancer- another barn door diagnosis. Didn't tell pt she had cancer, which is good. Calmed her anxieties about cystoscopy. Think it was quite good actually.

Explain new diagnosis of iron deficiency anaemia to a vegetarian- I am an anaemic vegetarian. I totally rocked this one.

Rest station- supposedly to calm down, took me out my swing and made me hyperventilate again. Ah well.

Examine pt for DVT- took the whole of 1 minute. Missed something obvious. Did however take the hint and use the tape measure. Came up with some good differentials, didn't however know what a Baker's cyst was. Hopefully haematoma, cellulitis and bursitis are enough to get the mark.

Consent pt for colonoscopy- had the external examiner in with me on this one. It was all he could do to not give me a double thumbs up afterwards, I could see him twitching. Was really happy. Heard from others afterwards that the simulated patient had sat there and said 'I'm not having it done. No, never, not having it' to them, so I must have done something right.

Examine for R sided pneumonia- didn't do tracheal deviation, decided it wasn't relevant, examiner made me go back to it- it was. Otherwise did a really competent respiratory exam, concluded well and knew exactly what I'd expect. Bolton did good things for my chest medicine knowledge.

Consent for ABG for 'education and training'- this one was interesting, mostly because I'd never actually ask someone if I could stick a needle in their wrist for practice when it's of no benefit to them. I misread the card at first (so did most) and went in thinking it was a test she needed. I don't know how well that went to be honest.

Urinalysis- another thing I've not done since September. I think I did ok, one of my questions I got wring but the examiner seemed pleased otherwise. They're well practised at not giving too much away.

Hx no 3- GORD/ulcer- Not so pleased with this one. Started well, but pt was deliberately talkative and pressing me to tell him whether something was up with his heart. Eventually I said I suspected it was more to do with his stomach and acid reflux. I'm not sure how well I did this, bearing in mind we're not actually able to tell patients their diagnosis. Everyone else seemed to go with the 'I'm a medical student, I don't know' option. We'll see when the marks come out, but I have a feeling I may fail on that one.

Overall, a mixed bag. I'm confident that I've passed, but I doubt it's a high mark. Nerves got the better of me in the end.

The post-exam celebrations however were much more successful. Made a fool of myself by drinking too much cider, as ever. After two days of drinking (and over 40 units) I spent most of yesterday in bed, and missed my housemate moving out for good. Felt really crap about that one.

Today I'm back at work. 7am-10pm. Two hours off in the afternoon. Then afterwards off to Wigan to start my SSC in Obs and Gynae in the morning.

I really just want to sleep.

4 comments:

The Little Medic said...

sounds similar to the day before. Looks like you've done ok. good luck

The Manchester Medic said...

Hmmm...I'm pleased I didn't have your stations. Perhaps it's just me but they sound a bit harder than the ones from day 1.

Lollipop xx said...

I actually thought the other way round- I'd have frozen completely on axillary lymph nodes!

sandy said...

In chemistry, an alcohol is any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group is bound to a carbon atom of an alkyl or substituted alkyl group.
===========================
Sandy
Alcohol Rehab